Sewing Fun



If you notice some of our snow pictures, my kids are wearing the big fleece scarves my mom made a few years ago. While my kids liked the scarves fine, it occurred to me they were a bit big and cumbersome for them and it would not be hard to made some kid-sized ones. I took Ruth with me to Hobby Lobby one night and she helped me pick out a fabric for her and Lily (she picked the polka dot fabric you see for Lily).

On a rare afternoon when Lily and Kate were both asleep, I whipped out the sewing machine and started working on my scarves. After Ruth saw me sew the first one, she wanted to do one. I said she could but didn't think she'd really be able to, but I was surprised that she could guide the fabric on her own. We did a bit of course correcting as we went, but she was not bad! It was a tremendous amount of fun and only took about an hour.


Threading the machine.


Sewing her seam.


Pulling a pin.



Turning our scarf inside out.


Kate modeling Lily's scarf.



Ruth modeling her scarf. She picked her own fabric out. She didn't want to tie the ends, so we left them as you see in the picture.


A funny epilogue: A few days later I found this set up in the girls' room. Ruth had the Barbie sewing machine set up correctly as if it was sewing this Barbie top.Too cute!






Comments

Mandy said…
What a fun mommy daughter moment! So cute! Ruth is growing up! The scarfs are darling.

I like your greatest snowman too. Looks like fun at your house.

Popular Posts