Planting Memories
A few weeks back we sprouted some pinto beans for a fun learning activity about how plants grow. We put them in the zip lock baggies with wet paper towels, then transferred them into a pot as the leaves began to come out.
Inspired by what a hit the beans were, I thought it would be fun to make a "Zen Garden" and put some herb plants in the window sill as well. I think this is partially to combat the sense of guilt I feel for making no attempt whatsoever at a vegetable garden this year, limited though our plot may be, and almost no effort to weed the existing flower beds (although I'm still working on that). I'm also becoming a huge fan of growing things in pots since you don't have to constantly combat the weeds and the encroaching grass and (if they are indoor plants) you can water your plants in the cool of your home.
The girls helped me break up and scoop out some old potting soil that was in the garage from some poor plant that died years ago. Probably not the greatest to grow things in but the name of the game today was use what you have.
I came across one of Grandma Pilling's trowels in the garage. I'm usually into things that are new, not old, and am not generally a collector of antique-y things, but I liked the charm of this old tool, made with real wood, the faded paint all chipping off. The problem with things these days is they are so trendy that they look hot for a season but then completely hideous once a new wave of colors have taken over the world. Plus something old makes you imagine a time when life was a lot simpler than it is now. I guess the point of this paragraph is to say that if your trowel goes missing, Grandma, I didn't take it.
We're working on the porch only because that was the only shaded place at 11:30 in the morning. I usually try to avoid the heat at all costs (see previous comment about watering plant indoors), but my motto these days has become do it when the mood strikes (because otherwise, it won't get done). Ruth and Lily were definitely in the mood, and that helped a lot.
These are the bean plants today. Ruth helped me by squeezing hot glue where I told her so we could make some scaffolding for our growing plants. They look so green and pretty. It makes me happy to be able to keep a plant alive (and weed-free).
Here is zen garden number 1. It's a combination of floral rocks and some pretty sand I found cleaning out the house or garage, I'm not sure which. I remember one time my cousin Heather and I visited her mom's office, back when she worked for Smith's, and her boss had a miniature rock garden on her desk where you could rake the sand into patterns like they do in Japan. It was very soothing to fool around with and I never forgot it. This is partially in tribute to that desktop rock garden, my own counter top rock garden. Eventually I'd like to add some potted herbs or something, but for now it's just rocks.
Here is zen garden number 2. This one is potting soil and more floral rocks lined with saran wrap to keep the tray from getting all dirty. I think it'd be fun to sprinkle a thin layer of grass seed or something delicate and grass-looking to grow up between the rocks. We'll see what I can find at Walmart.
It's fun to have a corner of the house that projects quiet solitude and order in the midst of what is admittedly a home that most often looks like a tornado has hit it. While I'm working on getting rid of more of the clutter that is constantly sneaking up on me, I've got two zen gardens that inspire me to find peace and joy in the journey.
Comments