Thanksgiving Week Museum Visit
In October Jason and I went with Grandma and Grandpa Brown and Kate to this Egyptian Exhibit at the Farmington Museum while Ruth and Lily were in school. This las week we had the entire week of Thanksgiving off from school, so one morning Kate played with Dad while Ruth and Lily and I went to the exhibit together. I wasn't sure what to expect, but Ruth and Lily really enjoyed it. The exhibit was very kid-friendly, with lots of hands-on exhibits. Photography was prohibited in the back half of the exhibit, but this is what I could capture.
Girls on the model camel with desert sand backdrop. They played on the camel as long as I would let them, and then before we left they circled back to visit the camel one more time.
Video display about Egyptian beliefs about the Afterlife with small "torches" on each upper corner.
Pictures of Modern Egypt.
Exhibits on archeology.
Not shown: They had a kid's exhibit where they could reconstruct pretend pots from big magnetic shards (they had two--we did the easier one together). They had x-rays of pet mummies you could look at. They had a neat display about Egyptian wall art. And they had "Annie," the mummy of a young girl that was found in the Nile and mummified by ancient Egyptian priests (she still had her wrappings on, but they had scans and 3-D models of what her bone structure and face looked like underneath).
Pyramid wood block puzzle.
When you remove all the pyramid blocks, there is a small wooden sarcophagus underneath. I thought it was a cute touch.
Ruth and I completed the pyramid together.
The Great Pyramid.
The museum was not crowded at all, which was really nice. The girls could really take their time at each station.
The kids loved this exhibit where you re-direct the wind to bury the different monuments. They were really fascinated watching the sand slowly shift.
I enjoyed what the girls wrote (with help) in the guest book.
Ruth drew an Egyptian queen, showing how she dies, is mummified, and then a boy carries her sarcophagus. We had a few interesting conversations about death during this visit. Having been to Grandma Gatewood's funeral this past summer, we could draw comparisons about how we bury people today and how the ancient Egyptians did it.
I know Grandma Brown doesn't want to go to Egypt (because it's not always safe), but if she did, I think Rutha and Lily would volunteer to come along!
Hiyah!
I was glad we went! It was nice knowing what there was to see from having been there previously, and I got a lot more out of it not having to chase Kate around. The girls had a nice time. Those mummies really made an impression!





















Comments