Grocery Smarts
There is a website that matches the coupons you get in the Sunday paper with the deals at the local grocery stores each week (only for Utah, sadly!). I learned about it through our ward Preparedness Fair as a way of building food storage. I thought it was a great idea and wanted to share it with my sister-in-laws. So I asked Jason Brown, who taught the class (and who also is the creator of the Grocery Smarts website--see link in right hand column) to do another class at my house. After his class I jokingly told him I'd contract to do his customer service and he said that while he didn't need customer service right now, he did need some more people to teach Grocery Smarts who could cover Utah Valley (he's from Kaysville). I thought that sounded okay so emailed him later and got the training on teaching Grocery Smart classes.
Meanwhile, when I first got into it, I didn't like "couponing" so much. I was confused by all the crazy sales (like buy $20 worth of specified Kraft products and get $5 off instantly) and I didn't know Albertsons or Smiths as well as I knew Walmart, so shopping took me even longer than it did before I began planning my shopping trips based on the sales. But I have to say, with a little more time and some help from my pro-shopper sister-in-law Deb, I am having a blast saving money. It really has been timely because Jason is giving us some pay in the short run to pursue nursing, so it's wonderful to have a way to help stretch the dollars we do have.
It also helps a lot because with Jason's new diet, I end up getting a few foods from Good Earth (a health food store) and as you probably can guess, those can cost a bundle. But it all works out and he is feeling much better these days with the diet changes.
My favorite things about Grocery Smarts are I now can buy Pampers (the absolute best diaper in the world I'm convinced) at prices equal to or better than Costco, and that our pantry is actually beginning to look pretty full rather than being depressingly bare. We're beginning to get a food storage, rather than buying only what we'll eat in a week (and sometimes underestimating!).
As for classes, I'm planning one this Thursday. My neighbor also wants to set up a class for her daughter-in-law in Eagle Mountain. Hopefully it goes well. I enjoy teaching and this has been a great thing for our family.
Meanwhile, when I first got into it, I didn't like "couponing" so much. I was confused by all the crazy sales (like buy $20 worth of specified Kraft products and get $5 off instantly) and I didn't know Albertsons or Smiths as well as I knew Walmart, so shopping took me even longer than it did before I began planning my shopping trips based on the sales. But I have to say, with a little more time and some help from my pro-shopper sister-in-law Deb, I am having a blast saving money. It really has been timely because Jason is giving us some pay in the short run to pursue nursing, so it's wonderful to have a way to help stretch the dollars we do have.
It also helps a lot because with Jason's new diet, I end up getting a few foods from Good Earth (a health food store) and as you probably can guess, those can cost a bundle. But it all works out and he is feeling much better these days with the diet changes.
My favorite things about Grocery Smarts are I now can buy Pampers (the absolute best diaper in the world I'm convinced) at prices equal to or better than Costco, and that our pantry is actually beginning to look pretty full rather than being depressingly bare. We're beginning to get a food storage, rather than buying only what we'll eat in a week (and sometimes underestimating!).
As for classes, I'm planning one this Thursday. My neighbor also wants to set up a class for her daughter-in-law in Eagle Mountain. Hopefully it goes well. I enjoy teaching and this has been a great thing for our family.
Comments
That's great that you are teaching this to others too! You are always so good about sharing your talents with others. You are such a Cutie! I miss you :)